29 April 2010

Zine Scene - Poly Pocket Issue 1

Poly Pocket! 8 pocket-sized pages of poly processing! I affectionately call this zine Poly Poche. Inspired one day by my current relationship dynamic and all of the new mental energy I am putting into the communication, negotation, compassion, and positive self-talk that it takes to be more like the person I want to be in relationship. The time and effort I put into writing, editing, and designing this little book was driven as much by my desire to process my own relationship to relationships as it was about my interest in involving other people in the process. In fact many other people are already involved--most of what gets me through relationships and my life in general is the non-judging, empathic, reflective listening and advice of my friends. I think it's important to open the conversation as wide as it will go and to think about what roles we play and how we interact in our sometimes very small communities.

While polyamory/non-monogamy may seem like a radically different choice in terms of relationship structures, many of the ways that one is challenged in a polyamorous framework to think about self in terms of relationship could well serve the population at large, within any relationship. So let's look at how our capitalist ideas of scarcity inform our relationship models and how we view the love that we receive. Let's examine how we can take care of our internal selves while being good to our partners and relationship. Let's think about how we talk to other people about our feelings and figure out how to be accountable for our feelings and behaviors. And let's do it in a safe, loving environment!

I hope that this zine entertains and also give y'all something to chew on. The first issue is about me and why I am prioritizing my relationship to myself. The next issue is simmering in the brainpan. I'm pretty sure it's going to be about jealousy.

If you would like to own a copy, you can make a donation to me using the donation button below and I will send you one! If you can't afford to pay or you would prefer to do a trade, email me at asterfig-at-gmail.com.





1 comment:

Astro Boy said...

I heard you on the pirate cat on my favorite show the waiting room. I'm used to her show and was caught off guard at first with yesterdays show, but I thoroughly enjoyed you as her guest and the topics covered and the entire show in general. Im setting up my paypal now and will be making a donation shortly to get your zine. I look forward to reading it. Keep up the what you do!